Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife has been admitted to Hospital with kidney problems

My wife has been admitted to Hospital with kidney problems after having a CT scan. Her ureter has a thickening leading to both kidneys. One kidney is swollen and has been damaged and she has had stent placed in the other kidney to drian it.
Will the other kidney eventually recover and what is the best way to treat her condition?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is there further evaluation planned to identify the cause of the thickening?
How long was she having symtoms before she was admitted to the hospital?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know the doctors say they don't know the cause and as far as I know there is no plan to find out why.

That's why I want know more about this issue

She has felt very ill for the last three months and her local doctor has given her medicine to control acid. She also has ongoing treatment for cancer which was diagnosed twenty five years ago and she has had recurrence three times and managed to have remissions each time.

She has been taking tamoxifen for the last six months and has had to stop because of side effects like a clot on one of her lungs, which the CT scan picked at the same time as her kidney problem.

She had a blood test 5 weeks ago which showed high levels creatinine and urea, but nothing was done about that until the latest CT showed the problem and they did another blood test last week, which showed very marked increase in creatinine and urea levels.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

I ask these questions because whether the kidneys will recover depends upon the duration of the blockage that is adversely affecting the kidneys. If the blockage has only adversely affected kidney function for a short period of time, then the kidneys will almost always recover once the blockage is relieved. However, when the blockage has been adversely affecting the kidneys for a longer period of time, then there is a greater risk that the damage to the kidneys is permanent, and the longer that it has been present, the greater the risk that it will be permanent.

As for treatment of the condition, there are two general modes of treatment, either to bypass the area of blockage or to treat the thickened portion of the ureter. So far, they have been trying to bypass the area of blockage when they have tried stenting. Treatment of the thickening, itself, would be dependent upon the cause of the thickening. They may have been able to identify the cause from the CT scan, but they apparently did not inform you of that information. They also may be waiting until the function of the kidneys improve after stenting before performing further evaluation.

Some of the underlying causes are easier to treat than others. If it is from infection, then the thickening should resolve as it heals from the infection. If it is from local trauma, such as from a passing kidney stone, it will resolve after the stone has passed. However, if the thickening is due to cancer affecting the ureters, there would need to be treatment oriented towards the cancer, such as with radiation therapy or systemic use of chemotherapy.

Since the cause of the thickening is not known, it would be appropriate to ask her doctor whether the cause was apparent from the CT scan or if there are plans to perform further evaluation as the kidney function improves.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.