DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Would MS give you tingling on both hands in exactly the same

Would MS give you tingling on both hands in exactly the same way by that I mean perfectly symmetrical I have had this for a few days but it started a day after doing canoeing. I read that Ms symptoms are not perfectly symmetrical ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.
You were blocked in another category and I have no control over that.
Always find me in the medical category.
I am here daily.
NO, this is not MS.
This would not at all be a typical presentation of MS.
It might be more typical for
diabetes
heavy metals
problems in the cervical spine
anxiety with hyperventilation
B vitamin deficiencies
Other problems.
If you have this symptom, you should be seeing an internal medicine doctor to undergo appropriate testing.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had full bloods taken 8 weeks ago all fine and detailed eye test with camera etc 6 weeks ago again all fine. I suffer from health anxiety and have lost count of all the symptoms. I have had arm issues before but was just concerned it was MS but thought it wouldn't happen exactly the same on both hands at the same time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
No it it not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think muscular or anxiety or a combination of both
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
See my list above.
If all your testing is normal, what they have likely not tested is heavy metals and all b vitamin levels...check those to be sure.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
As to anxiety
Magnesium levels.
If lower than 2.5 supplement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I take it heavy metals and b vitamin is nothing to be overly concerned about
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It can be corrected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks my concern was Ms but you have eased my fears over that
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome anytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have accepted no MS but am now worried about ALS again. I have read stories about numbness in hands but they always accompany weakness. What tests could I do to check for weakness or would it be obvious ? Sorry for annoying you again. I have had benign fasculation syndrome for 20 months which has pretty much gone and this doesn't concern me. I don't have any obvious weakness and I have checked my reflexes which I have done regularly with no change. Am I being rediculous ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
actually you need to get the anxiety treated.
This is not how ALS presents.
Any neurologist would rule this out quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It presents with obvious clinical weakness doesn't it ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It presents with progressive muscle weakness apparent on exam by the doctor in a particular pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So this isn't ALS then what I mean is people go to the doctor initially because of weakness ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
They go for a variety of reasons.
You do not fit the pattern by your description, and any neurologist can rule out MS.
What you need is treatment for the underlying cause.
If this is anxiety that needs to be treated.
If it is one of the many problems I have listed, that needs to be treated.
ALS is extremely rare. I have treated many patients, and what you describe does not sound like ALS. It also is not MS>
good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think i need an exam with a neurologist or with my history etc I have nothing to worry about. I would have to pay for the appointment which I don't want to do and don't want to feed my anxiety. 100% not ALS ?Do you think i need an exam with a neurologist or with my history etc I have nothing to worry about. I would have to pay for the appointment which I don't want to do and don't want to feed my anxiety. 100% not ALS ? I hav had neuro clinicals before and I can do all the tests they do ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, we are not your doctor, and we do not , and can not, replace an exam.
I don't think you are going to stop being anxious without that assurance, and it is the gold standard.