Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There, I have had a constant 'squeezed pressure' headache

Customer Question

HI There, I have had a constant 'squeezed pressure' headache in my left temple it is 24/7 pain/pressure for 6 years it seems to be getting worse and feels swollen/inflamed i have yet to receive a confirmed diagnosis other than possible tmj disorder. my
question other than 'what the heck is this '? is that even though my Neurologist ruled out temporal arteritis as i had a normal ESR blood test is it still possible it could be this? i am a 40 year old male so the specialist was dismissive that it was this.
heat and alcohol makes it worse, if its not this can anyone help becoming desperate now various MRI 's all normal Many thanks Mark
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
do you still need help on this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
defianately !
have you been treated for chronic migraine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI DR P, No, none of the specialists have suggested this as the pain is 24/7 but varies with intensity..
I think you have chronic migraine. You may consider botox injections. These work quite well for this problem.what meds do you take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried Botox which seemed to numb the area slightly but wore off after time.
At the moment I am on Lecaent (Pregablin) 300MG a day they don't seem to do much other than make me drowsy, I recently came off Gabapentin again not sure they did a lot. Ibuprofen at 800MG helps a little.
Many thanks Mark
how much ibuprofen do you take?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I take it as and when the pain is intense, I try and restrict in case of stomach issues, but I guess 800MG once a day
That could be part of the issue too daily ibuprofen can cause a medication overuse headache
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think its this, the temple pain came before I started using Ibuprofen, the temple feels a little sensitive compared to the other side too. ??
This could also be trigeminal neuralgia
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi There, according to internet
'Trigeminal neuralgia is a disorder of the trigeminal nerve (the fifth cranial nerve) that causes episodes of sharp, stabbing pain in the cheek, lips, gums, or chin on one side of the face'
This is not what I have described ??regards Mark
A medical school teacher of mine always said "patients don't read the textbook". This means that your symptoms can vary somewhat from the book.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am i sensing we are clutching at straws here ? if you were me based in the UK and becoming increasingly desperate, who or what type of doctor would you go and see to try and resolve this ?
thanks alot Mark.
You have to start somewhere. This is a difficult set of symptoms and will be a difficult diagnosis However, I am doing my best in giving you ideas of where to start. I would go to a neurologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Thanks, ***** ***** is there any possibility this could be Temporal Arteritis ? my symptoms are very very similar I have had an ESR blood test which came back normal and have had this issue for over 6 years, but my symptoms are very similar to this.Many thanks Mark