Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had back problems 3 years now - I

I have had back problems for approximately 3 years now - I was experiencing a constant dull pain, but not so bad that it stopped me from carrying out day to day activities. Within the last 6 months, the pain has developed into regular muscle spasms and a sharp, stabbing pain up and down my spine which prevent me from sleeping (I'm lucky if I get 4 hours' sleep a night).
I have tried light exercise as it was recommended by my doctor, but I feel this makes it worse. I feel that the pain is considerably worse when I lie flat on my back, and feels a little better when I am upright and walking around.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--have you had x-rays or an MRI of your lower back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't had either
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Has your doctor said anything about this Olivia? And have you had any physical therapy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to my doctor and he gave me some painkillers, but didn't suggest an X Ray. However I did go to my GP before I started experiencing leg pain, could that make a difference?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, now it does Olivia since your symptoms now suggest a disk problem in your lower back. You need an MRI of your lumbar spine to evaluate for that and afterwards I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a therapy regimen that should relieve your pain