Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have has recent dental surgery and have been left with excruciating

I have has recent dental surgery and have been left with excruciating jaw and facial pain. I have been prescribed carbomazipine and oromorph for pain control. Is this a correct treatment for what my gp is assuming I have trigeminal neuralgia and how long will it take to settle down. I am in the medical profession myself and is important to get back to work as soon as possible. At the moment I feel it has taken over my life.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Yes, those are given for Trigeminal Neuralgia, but I would prefer that the surgeon have you on Gabapentin or Pregabalin (nerve membrane stablizing agents) that are really effective for neuropathic pain. I would place them before oromorph for the sharp and excruciating pain that is experienced in Trigeminal Neuralgia.
After dental procedures, this should take at least 6 weeks to settle down as with any inflammation in the nerve membrane. I would also recommend a soft to liquid diet till that time.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any more queries about this.
Best.