Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I would like to know which opinion is higher from general practice or from psychiatri

I would like to know which opinion is higher from general practice or from psychiatric. And if psyhiatrics report say that you don't have mental illness how than general practice prescribe you antidepressant.can you please respond me that question.thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
In general the opinion of the psychiatrist is higher, since he specialized in mental illnesses. But the general practitioner often knows his patient better and might decide nevertheless to prescribe antidepressants, being sure that the patient will profit. He should explain this, though.