Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've just been told that my Neutrophils are low at 1.59. What

I've just been told that my Neutrophils are low at 1.59. What does this mean?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Before I answer do you have the rest of the results from the CBC?

And do you have the normal range for neutrophils for that lab?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not know what you mean by the CBC. I HAD A medical arranged by my insurance company and was phoned up to arrange another test in 2 weeks time. I called the company and they told me the reason for a further test was to check that the reading was accurate.
They also told me that the lab reference range (normal range) was between 2.0 to 7.5.
Does the make sense to you. I'm keen to find out what it means.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

I understand--Complete blood count and differential which would have included the white blood cell count, hemoglobin, platelets, and the differential--neutrophils, basophils, lymphocytes, etc.

So you really don't have any more information than the neutrophil count?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello. No, that is all the information that I have. What are you neutrophils what did they do,? How potentially serious is this? Can you answer my query with this limited amount of information?
I'm looking forward to your response.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK.

Neutrophils are one type of white blood cell and they help attack bacteria and viruses when we have infections.

But 1.59 isn't concerning unless your total white blood cell count is also low, in which case it could indicate leukemia.

Since they only told you about the neutrophil count I would assume your white count is fine and so I don't think there's any reason for you to be concerned about this.

If you can't get the full test results we can discuss this further but for now I am not worried about the neutrophil count

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I thank you for your answer. I had a blood test earlier this year and it did not indicate that I had a low white blood cell count so I find your message reassuring.
I will arrange to see my general practitioner and see what she advises me to do.
With thanks again,
E. Charles
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but in addition to thanking me please consider rating my service to you