Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My doctor wants me to change medication from sertraline to

Customer Question

my doctor wants me to change medication from sertraline to venelaxafen, i am scared of side effects does it have sedating effects
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The venlafaxine usually is well tolerated, but about 15 - 20% of people can get some drowsiness or sedation from the venlafaxine.

Is your doctor wanting to change the medication because the sertraline is causing sedation?
I had not heard back from my request for information.

The sertraline is also usually well tolerated, but can cause drowsiness or sedation in a small percentage of patient. It is actually slightly less likely than the venlafaxine to cause sedation.

If you are getting sedated from the sertraline, then you may be more sensitive and may be one of the people that would be sedated from the venlafaxine.

In someone that has tended to get sedation from antidepressants, the drug that I would tend to use is Wellbutrin, which has a very low rate of drowsiness or sedation.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.