Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a slightly strange sensation in my anus - not sure if

I have a slightly strange sensation in my anus - not sure if it tenesmus as have never experienced it before. I've recently had some mushy stool that cleared up after taking fibre and I have an anal fissure (doctor confirmed). My doctors also performed rectal exam (all clear) and abdomen (all clear). Slightly worried about rectal cancer as apparently tenesmus is a symptom. If it were a low rectal tumour (which I understand typically causes tenesmus) would my doc not have found it with the rectal exam? Also, how likely is this without other symptoms as I understand tenesmus typically occurs at a late stage?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you more fully describe this feeling and how often do you have it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just feels like tingling almost - mostly around the anus. Almost like the feeling when you pass a large stool. Only just started yesterday and it's been pretty constant.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Jeff. That really doesn't sound like true tenesmus but even if it were, no this wouldn't be a sign of colon cancer in your case.

It could well be from the anal fissure and if it were an anal tumor your doctor would have detected it with the rectal exam.

So really I don't consider this anything for you to worry about

Let me know if you need more information