Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I am on vacation in Hawaii. Today (around 12hrs ago) my 15

Customer Question

I am on vacation in Hawaii. Today (around 12hrs ago) my 15 yr old son got into trouble while snorkeling at the beach. He was in a pannicked state for something like around 30 secs before I could get to him. He was still completely concious throughout.
The water was only around 3 feet deep so I will able to assist him to stand up and stood with him in the water helping to stablize his balance until he was suffciently recovered to be able to walk the short distance up to the beach.
He remianed in a subdued state sitting on the beach for an hour or so but seems to be fine, though remarking that he thinks he swallowed a lot of sea water.
I did not seek any medical advice on what happened. But this evening I recalled reading a while back about strange effects that can lead to delayed drowing occurring long after the fact. Does what happened today warrant seeing a doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me exactly what the trouble was with him when he was in the water?