Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

In the last two weeks i discovered a breast lump, i went

hi, in the last two weeks i discovered a breast lump, i went to the gp and am waiting for a breast clinic referal, in the last 24 hrs i have developed a swollen groin lump,bikini line hip area, its swollen long lump and tender. i am away from home and starting to worry. i am 44 and have a family history of breast cancer amongst the female line.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Family history of breast cancer puts you at higher risk category. You should have already gotten atleast one mammogram after age 40.The swollen tender groin lump can be a viral infection most commonly. Usually breast cancer related lump should cause armpit swollen gland first, not in the hip region.So, that may be unrelated.The lump commonly is a benign fibrocystic disease if it is mobile and not fixed to the underlying muscle. The risk of malignancy does not exceed 5% even with your family history for your age. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****