Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I deep open mouth kissed a woman of unknown hiv status plus she had cuts on her arms so I

Customer Question

I deep open mouth kissed a woman of unknown hiv status plus she had cuts on her arms so I am concerned by hiv transmission via blood contact I have booked a hiv rna pcr test what is my question is what is my risk of hiv transmission from the above mentioned risks and will the hiv test result be conclusive
Ps I am ocd diagnosed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Did you actually come in contact with, say, blood from her cuts or was this just exposure by kissing her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her cuts were on her arm and I think some blood might have got on her hands then transferred to mine through hand holding I have small scrapes on my knuckles not bleeding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not directly deep cuts were on her arms and she had a jacket on I am worried some blood was on her hands we engaged in hand holding I have small non bleeding grazes on my hands
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Well, your risk from the kissing for contracting HIV would be zero Harry

If there were no actual blood on her hands and you didn't kiss her cuts then, again, the risk would be zero.

So I'd say overall your total risk was zero.

If by chance there was fresh blood on her hands and it came in contact with the grazes on your hands there would be a very very small risk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would this have to be fresh blood I've heard the HIV virus is fragile outside the human body also would the test I mentioned give accurate results ?
Thanks for the reply
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

The virus is very fragile outside the body and only in fresh blood

The test would be accurate but if you take it early than three months after contact, if it is negative that can be a false negative--it takes about three months to seroconvert to positive

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doc
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Harry--any time