Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

After scans etc. I have been diagnosed with cancer in my rectum.

Customer Question

After scans etc. I have been diagnosed with cancer in my rectum. After 5 weeks of daily radiotherapy and chemo tablets I have been told that the results show that the tumour is no longer visible, but to make sure that I am completely clear I am having an abdomino-
perineal excision of my rectum. Iam a58 year old male in good health. Is this the only possible treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. While the surgery is generally recommended in a case like yours, here's a link about patients with your results from the treatment you had who didn't undergo the abdominoperineal resection

https://www.mskcc.org/clinical-updates/toward-curing-rectal-without-surgery

So you need to discuss with your doctors the option not to operated

Let me know if you need more information please

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any other questions Donald?