Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am nearly 49. I have been feeling hormonal/ anxious lately

Customer Question

I am nearly 49. I have been feeling hormonal/ anxious lately /very weepy and generally worried about lots of stuff particularly my health. I was very sick a few years ago whilst having a surprise baby - i had a brain clot but recovered very well and had a healthy baby now age 3. I did breast feed all my children including the last one. with the last one I got some lumps after feeding which were painful but had them checked and they were related to stopping breast feeding. They weren't removed. Lately I have become concerned about one of my breasts which seems heavy and more painful than the other. It was always heavier with a flat nipple making feeding difficult in the past. Now it feels more like it did 3 years ago. I can't feel a specific lump but it feels fuller and harder than the other one. it hurts sometimes and feels tender but generally is Ok when my bra is on. However I am worried as it feels different though I am not sure if I have just become more aware as I am so anxious and worried all the time. my sister had a lumpectomy last year and though her consultant said it was not the genetic type it may have prompted all this worry.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concerns.
Especially at this age with any breast related concerns.
Your sister's issue is not genetic --that is reassuring.
That puts at average risk category only.
If you had a mammogram within last 2 years and that was normal that also strengthens the case this is not concerning.
The breast in concern was always little different as you described above.
So the current changes can be considered normal still under hormonal influence.
Estrogen can cause fuller and firmer feeling.
And the lumpy feeling can be due to the fibrocystic changes.
That is considered benign as well.
So in summary, I will not worry about these changes.
The anxiety and worry also by the way can be hormonal expected at your age.
Please also discuss with your GP as well.
That should give you further confidence about what I said above.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still a little concerned about general hardness particularly when I press the nipple area? though again not a particular lump the tissue inside the breast does not bounce back like the other one which is more soft. again as said it always felt fuller than the other but for some reason it is concerning me more now this last few months..

I hope your answer is correct. am going to GP tomorrow but am so scared

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Please do not be scared. The hard feeling can be normal as well due to the hormonal influence. That does not suggest anything bad as you do not have any nipple discharge also. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I visited my doctor who was concerned that the breast was heavy and hard - as I had been. she referred me to a breast clinic anyhow as a matter of procedure but was not able to reassure me that it is hormonal or not sinister though she said it could be. I felt that she was worried about it. i am even more anxious now ..

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
It is not always possible to be definite based solely on clinical findings. However given your prior history of same breast issues, and recent hormonal changes, the risk of anything serious is very low. Still, nobody can be sure due to the medicolegal reasons. hence you will need to wait for the further test results --mammogram and breast ultrasound. So far not concerning as you do not have any bloody drainage or palpable dominant mass or any armpit enlarged lymph nodes. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you and sorry to be a bother. that is reassuring. what is a palpable mass? my breast does feel like a mass at the moment particularly around the front. thanks for your reply . this will be my last reply

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
That means you feel a lump inside the breast attached to the underlying muscle --so that it cannot be moved side to side. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Basu but it seems that things are not as we might hope. No lump showed up on mamagram or ultrasound but they don’t like thickness/firmess of the breast so have taken biopsy. Results next week but they have told me that they are very concerned as tissue is so hard and heavy etc – as I explained to you. I am so upset. Though they don’t know result/ and there is no lump they still seem to be counselling me towards a difficult result. It was the radiologist that said all this. I wasn’t seen by an oncologist. What do you think?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok --Still you have a very good chance of this turning out benign.However, given the concern shown by the radiologist you will need to be prepared for the worst as well.And at least that will be fully treatable since no other lump or lymph node seen.Any early stage breast cancer is fully curable by surgery and anti hormonal therapy. Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They did say I had a very small gland in armpit though only detectable by ultrasound. they took sample of that also.

They also said there is a possibility that the normal process of lactation tissue turning to fatty tissue may have been interfered with by the medication I am on i.e. tegretol (anti-seizure). but they also said they are worried

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
you will have to wait till biopsy result available although this is a hard time to go through.Hope for the best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Basu. It is very helpful to be in touch with you.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
very welcomewish you the best