Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I have had a really painful calf (left) hours. Really

Customer Question

I have had a really painful calf (left) for 24 hours. Really hurts when sitting or lying down but pain goes away when I stand /walk about. What could this be and what can I do about it?
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr.Customerand pleased to help you.
If you did not have any trauma (which could have caused a muscle fiber rupture) a thrombosis is the most likely reason for this pain. Thrombosis can occur when you take oral contraceptives and/or smoke, or when you were immobilized for a while, especially if you have varicose veins.
A sign of thrombosis is a swelling of the calf an the disappearance of the pain while walking.
Since thrombosis can lead to dangerous pulmonary embolism, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.
I wish you all the best!
You have read my answer. Is your calf swollen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, no swelling, have been to NHS walk in centre and she said its very unlikely to be a clot and to just keep up painkillers.
Ok, that is good news. But not absolute save , because there is no sensible explanation for your condition then. So if you are not getting better, please have your veins checked with Doppler ultrasound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have booked an appointment with my GP for Tuesday just in case it hasn't gone by then. It does seem to be getting a little better. I assume if it were a clot that it wouldn't improve?

A clot would make it worse. Sounds good :-)

You have read my last answer. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. If not, I thank you for a friendly feedback and wish you all the best!