Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I looked in my 4 year olds throat and there is something

Hi. I looked in my 4 year olds throat and there is something sticking up from within her throat that touches the uvula. I was checking her throat as she said it was sore. I'm worried.

Hi. Can you tell me a bit more about this please?

Where is the something that's touching her uvula coming from and what does it look like?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It's pokes out from the throat. Its red. It looks like another uvula but wider and longer. Kind of curls over a bit at the top.
OK--Is it coming from the tonsil on that side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's coming up from the throat. Sticking out.

OK. This sounds like adenoiditis--like tonsilitis but in the adenoid gland near the tonsil.

You need to have the child seen by her paediatrician for an exam and a rapid strep test. This could be viral but if it's strep then antibiotics would be required

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's pointing up from inside her throat like a little finger poking out the windpipe, behind tongue.

It still is probably an adenoid.

Nothing too serious but have her doctor take a look

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Will get her looked at today.
My pleasure but let me know what her doctor thinks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doctor said its a high rising epilogitis (?) and to see how it goes. Anti biotic given for swollen throat.

I thought about the epiglottis but it was a little hard to tell from your description

Glad you got him to the doctor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's fine. It's difficult without seeing it! I'm very grateful for you assistance and you did re-assure me!
Let me know how he does