Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Couple of years, now I have been suffering from a blocked

For a couple of years, now I have been suffering from a blocked nose at night. A nose spray helps, but I don't think I should be using this for both nostrils every night. When I breathe out through my nose, it feels as if s flap is dropping over the breathing tube.
I am fine during the day.
About 20 years ago I has a minor operation on my nose to stop snoring. It didn't work!
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
Regards,
Tony Blok
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Which nasal spray works? Any change in taste, smell, and voice? Any nasal discharge? Any sinus pain or headache? Did you have your thyroid hormones checked? Did you have your nose examined?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your very prompt reply is appreciated.

1. Vicks Sinex Decongestant Nasal Spray

2. A slightly hoarse voice. No change in taste or smell.

3. No nasal discharge, although sometimes when I get up in the morning I have to blow my nose a number of times.

4. I have not had my thyroid hormones checked nor have I had my nose examined.

Tony Blok

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

You are right, this nasal spray must not be used for more than 3-5 days since continued use can itself cause the medicine to become less effective if used excessively.

This is most probably non allergic rhinits due to cold, or due to the continued medication use itself (this is known as rhinitis medicamentosa).

A decrease in thyroid hormones may also cause nasal obstruction, and this may also cause a hoarse voice.

Also nasal deformities may be a causal factor keeping in consideration your previous surgery.

Therefore please consult your doctor and have the physical examination and also the investigations done to know the causal factor and for the appropriate treatment.

Take care.