Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a bit of an irritant in my throat. It sometimes make

Hi I have a bit of an irritant in my throat. It sometimes make me cough when I eat something or just doing nothing. The ridge of the opening into my throat is reddish, so is the back of my throat. Also about an inch from the opening towards the front of my mouth I have a horizontal red line about 3 mill wide on both sides. I do not have tonsils anymore. The rest of my throat is normal colour. This has been for a few months now. It does get a sore sometimes but not that bad. Sometimes my voice will just go like someone who has laryngitis for an hour or so and then it clears again.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
This must be very frustrating for you.
First of all, you should get a simple test called throat swab to rule out any chronic streptococcal infection which can be treated with penicillins.
If no infection, then the most likely explanation is the silent acid reflux from the stomach.
Acid will cause irritation and redness of the back of the throat.
This can be easily treated with a potent acid suppressant like Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 12 weeks.
Seasonal allergies are another possibility which can cause sinus drainage and hence the throat symptoms.
This is usually treated with a cheap but strong steroid nasal spray.
But acid reflux is the most likely explanation being the common cause of throat inflammation.
Please discuss with your GP also.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****