Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I have taken seroxat years and have gained weight.

I have taken seroxat for many years and have gained weight. will this be the cause?
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Seroxat may be the cause, many patients suffer from weight gain while taking seroxat.
Still I would test the blood for thyroid disfunction, this is another possible reason for weight gain.
It helps to note the daily calory intake and try not to consume more than 1800 kcal.
I wish you all the best!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a level thyroid as take thyroxin as under active but it is level and my GP says this should not cause weight gain as now level.

I just know if my seroxat is the cause of weight gain?

Should I try reducing slowly? I am on 30mg per day.

Thanjs

Andrew

If it is level it does not cause the weight gain. I cannot advice you to reduce seroxat, because you have a reason for taking it! Pleas talk to your doctor and ask him if reducing is acceptable and if you should take something else instead when you are done with seroxat.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

Would seroxat be the reason for weight gain? Is this common?

What is daily intake of cals for a man to lose weight?

Andrew

Yes, it would, it is common, as I wrote before.
It depends on the man and his work. It shouldn't be more than 2000 kcal wih medium work and a little bit of sports. Googling ou will find lot of weight loss information. Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know you are not recommending reducing dosage but would reducing dosage help with weight loss or would I have to come off seroxat completely?

Reducing dosage might help. That differs from patient to patient. I would give it a try if it's ok with your doctor.