Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm alittle worried I had blood test results which said

Hi I'm alittle worried I had blood test results which said my red cell distribution width is a little high so I started panicking as I don't no what this means?
Sarah
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sarah, That is a common finding --can be problem with the automated machine used to run the blood test. Or you may have iron deficiency common with women due to the menstruation and relative lack of iron in the diet. So you can start on iron supplementation after discussing with your GP. Without any other abnormal labs, this is not serious.Do not worry. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks I am 12 weeks pregnanct and all my other bloods came back normal reading I do take iron tablets but could this be due to being pregnant and body adjusting?
You have really put my mind at ease thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
That is likely due to the pregnancy.You are supposed to take iron with prenatal vitamin daily anyway.Please check that also with your doctor. Best of luck,