Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

This is about weight loss. I have tried it all. Its

Customer Question

Hello, this is about weight loss. I have tried it all. Its been 7 years since my last born and my weight has not gone a gram below 73 kgs. Am desperate really. I have tried everything possible!! Everything but am stucjk in this weight that i dont know what to do anymore!!!
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. What investigations have you done? Was thyroid hormones tested? Which surgery was done and what medications have you tried? What is your height?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had an abdominalctopy. I have never tested for thyroid hormones. I am 170 cm
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. Then your next step would be to have the thyroid function tests done. When a person's thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones there may be a gain of weight, and losing weight would be difficult. At first, the symptoms of hypothyroidism may barely be noticeable, hence investigations done for hypothyroidism is a must. Please ask your doctor about this condition and have the hormone tested. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And if i have thst problem then what do i do? Whats the next step for me? How do i solve the problem?
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. If this is the cause then the treatment is hormone replacement therapy in the form of a medication which you need to take daily. Then after taking the tablet for a few weeks you can repeat the test to know whether the hormone replacement therapy is adequate. All over the world millions of hypothyroid patients are taking this medication and it is a very safe and tolerant medication. Take care.