Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had a sinus infections and chest infection weeks

Customer Question

I have had a sinus infections and chest infection for 3 weeks I have been treated with 14 days 250 mg twice per day for 14 days. I also have ME which I get acupuncture for (I had no visit for 7 months, last visit was tues last week)and Thursday I had to return to drs as all my pressure and pain in head came back a day after stopping antibiotics. He prescribed me avamys spray saying my nose looked red and very inflammed. I used one spray in each nostril Thursday evening. Initially within 30 minutes I felt very alert almost like I had taken energy drinks but then then headache pressure got much worse. Also I felt sick I've had lie grade fever and neck feels hot and quite stuff. What could this be? I have not gone to er today as I care for a child with complex needs and have no one to look after her. It doesn't feel right. Could someone advise please.
Oh I forgot to mention whilst taking the clarythromycin all symptoms went away.
Teresa
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How high is your fever and where exactly is the headache pain located Teresa?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
38 and front of my head and towards the top of my head too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also take Lansoprazole and clenil inhaler for asthma
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pressure at the back of my head too
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Teresa. We can continue after this if you'd like
My real concern is the headache and neck stiffness since that might indicate meningitis.
The other possibility is that this is a recurring sinus infection that needs a different antibiotic course, say perhaps Levaquin or Septra DS
I understand the ER problem for you but either you need to call your doctor today and discuss this with him or go to the ER for an MRI of your brain and blood work
Unfortunately, since I can't examine you I can't rule out the meningitis possibility and that would be a very serious condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not like this on the antibiotics it took all my symptoms away. Could the avamys worsened it? I would like to continue this afterwards if possible please. My drs are closed today and the only place to go is a walk in centre at my hospital which I have to wait for hours in and my child has a severe anxiety disorder. What should I look out for incase it gets worse? Then I will just have to call a ambulance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add I feel unwell but much better lying down
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That still doesn't rule out meningitis Teresa so please either call your doctor or get to an ER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and I'm allergic to penicillin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then Levaquin or Septra should be fine if it's just a sinus infection
But seriously Teresa--you need to have this checked out right away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will see if I feel any worse at all and I will go to er
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The things to look for would be a worsening headache, a higher fever, a vision or balance problem
Let me know how it goes but for now please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do. I have been dizzy since the day after stopping the antibiotics but after I took avamys it made it worse so it's still the same dizziness. Ok I will keep a check on my temp and the headache if it changes at all I will go straight to er. Is there any possibility that the avamys has worsened things
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Possibly it's the Avamys Teresa but I'm still very worried for you
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i will keep checking my temp and if the pain in my head gets worse I will go to er. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please remember the rating for the time I've spent with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my head pain is easing a little but pressure is still there... I've had a bad taste too the last hour or so... I think it was the avamys and still having a sinus infection too. I will go back to gp first thing and let them know and see if they give me different type of antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Keep me informed then