Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been told by my optician that I have a cataract in the

I have been told by my optician that I have a cataract in the centre of my vision in one eye. The vision is quite blurred at times although not too bad at others. How bad does a cataract have to be before it can be operated on. I do not wish to become unsafe driving.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
There is no rating for a cataract, however, according to classification, a grade of 1 to 5 is used and cataracts from grade 3 to 5 are not safe for drivers. Yours seems to be a grade 1 cataract since there is no permanent blurring of vision.
Having said that, if a cataract has been identified and is causing blurring of vision transiently, then it is better to get it operated. Since, most cataracts are progressive meaning that they can only get worse once started, the earlier you get operated the better.
In general, if the cataract is in only one eye, and grade I or II, you are not an unsafe driver.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou for that information. Being the age I am I remember when cataracts had to become "ripe" before they could be operated on and I didn't know whether this was still the case. It is good to know that they can now be operated on early. I will give a good rating to you.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. There are myriad surgical and minimally invasive remedies for cataracts now. Cataract removal can be performed at any stage and no longer requires ripening of the lens. Surgery is usually 'outpatient' and performed using local anesthesia. Let me know if you have any queries.
I will appreciate a good rating.
Best wishes.