Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Help there, I have taken 2 pregnancy tests and both have

Customer Question

Help there,
I have taken 2 pregnancy tests and both have said negative. But I don't think they can be right.. I take the contraseptive pill which I don't have a period. But I have been feeling very sick and have been sick in the morning for the last week. My breath are very sore and my tummy is very bloated. Also have discharge in my knickers. Also have gone off food. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing medical information for you today.
I think you can believe the test unless you were drinking a lot of water before taking it. In very early pregnancy, false negative test is possible if the pregnancy hormone level is very low still and the drinking water makes the level even lower in the urine.
So I suggest that you redo the test, making sure to drink no water for 8 hours before. If it's still negative, there is a different cause for your symptoms.
Morning sickness requires the hormone levels to be quite high enough to cause a positive test. It's really not possible to have morning sickness from pregnancy and still have a negative test.
Also if you've been good about taking your pills every day without needing to make up missed pills, chance of pregnancy is quite low.
Whether the test is negative or positive, it sounds like it's time to make an appointment to see your doctor. If positive, to deal with that and if negative to figure out why you don't feel well.
But the bot***** *****ne is that home pregnancy tests are very accurate so if it's negative, you're not likely to be pregnant as a cause of the symptoms.
I hope this was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can add more details or if you need something explained more clearly.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Any questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent so do ask follow-up questions if you have any. Thanks.