Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My wife has recently been to have a Mammogram but due to a

My wife has recently been to have a Mammogram but due to a recent spinal problem she is unable to use the mobile unit. Our GP has sent a letter to the local hospital for an alternative but they are unable to provide any, even ultrasound. Could you give us an alternative. My wife has always had the Mammogram done as her mother had breast cancer although this did not end life.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

she can't get to the hospital for breast ultrasound?

how old is she?

can she have a visiting doctor or nurse do a breast exam for her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The hospital would not do another as the Breast unit said they could do no more having not been able to the first time. she is 75years of age. Her GP does not have an answer.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
at age 75, some doctors say women don't have to do mammograms after age 75 if their life expectancy is not longer than 10 years after that age.

not all women 75 and older need mammograms.

if she is too infirmed to go to the hospital, she may not need a mammogram.

if a doctor can visit her in her home, she can simply have a hand examination of her breast or breast manual exam. that would suffice for her

let me know if you have questions.