DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have Type Two diabetes and high blood pressure. The tablets

I have Type Two diabetes and high blood pressure. The tablets given to me are Atrovastain 400mg Metformin 500g and Ramipril 5mg . Blood pressure is now under control from169/100 to 122/84. The problem is with all the bad press reports on Statins is the tablet safe to take? My sugar levels were very high but are now just on the boarder line. I could have the start of Neuropathy due to the high sugar levels. Are there any tablets instead of Satins, or do you consider them to be safe? Are there any tablets for Neuropathy.
Paul Buckingham
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The only statin you are on at the moment is Atorvastatin and it is the safest among all the statins. Statins have side effects and have lost their popularity but most of the side effects are related to long term use, you should keep a check on the use of statins and re check your lipid profile after 6 months to see if the levels have fallen below normal, then you can stop the medication. The other medications you have mentioned are, Metformin for diabetes and Ramipril for your blood pressure. These are a good choice for control of sugar levels as well as for blood pressure. And if your pressures have fallen under the normal range and your sugars are under control then you should continue taking these in the prescribed dosage to avoid any side effects.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

I have a different answer.

Yes there are other medications just as safe as stating. Saying one satin is the safest is not correct. In fact, tell me your levels, you might not need to be on a statin: guidelines have changed.

There are tablets for neuropathy: lyrica being one of the most indicated.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
AS to reversing, or arresting diabetes [and heart disease], and to optimize cholesterol, you need a nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet.
The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt
The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book AN END TO DIABETES by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.