Dr. Hoellering
Dr. Hoellering, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

Is Spinal Decompression Therapy a safe treatment stiff

Is Spinal Decompression Therapy a safe treatment for my stiff neck which is extremely painful?
I have impingement and arthritis in my shoulder and am due to have surgery in August for the impingement. The consultant said that the impingement s is not related to my stiff neck and this surgery will not help with the pain in my neck. From MRI scans it also shows that I have disc bulges in my neck but unfortunately none of the consultants I have seen have an answer to solve my neck pain (I have seen 2 orthopedic surgeons and a rheumatologist but they have not picked on how to resolve my neck problem).
I am in a lot of pain with my neck and have read about Spinal Decompression Therapy and wondered if this is something that may help if I am happy to pay for this?
Please advise.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Hoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
In fact, shoulder surgery has nothing to do with neck pain and will not help against it. But Spinal Decompression Therapy is not recommended in elderly patients (sorry, you did not tell your age), because it could damage the carotid arteries. If you do it quite softly, it might bring relief for a while, but it will not heal the basic problem.
The best therapy fo disc bulges and neck pain is physiotherapy. Daily training strengthens and relaxes the neck muscles; with decreasing tension the pain decreases, too. You will have to learn specific exercises and do them on your own regularily. Then you can get rid of the pain for good. Please use warmth wherever you can get it!
I wish you a quck recovery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Hoellering,

Thanks for answering my question. Just to confirm, I am female, 48 years old. I looked at my scans and I also have a military neck.

So are you saying that there is no other solution other than physiotherapy?

If I want to be referred to a consultant to get the right physiotherapy treatment that you mentioned, please can you advise what type of consultant I need to be referred to. I am in the UK so want to ask my GP to refer this privately in order to fast track as I am in so much pain.

My GP isn't very good and it has taken many years to finally be referred to a consultant who diagnosed my impingement and arthritis for my shoulder pain so I don't want this to take a long time too.

I'm not sure if it is relevant bu I have also have Positive ANA, they are unclear at the moment if this will develop into Lupus or Arthritis but I already have been diagnosed with arthritis in my finger and shoulder (I am having surgery on my finger too in a couple of weeks).

So with everything going on, I would like to get some treatment on my shoulder as soon as possible but just need to know what type of consultant I need to be referred to in order to ask for physiotherapy.

Many thanks.

Physiotherapy is the only proper solution, that s right. The proper consultant is the orthopedic, and I hope that he will oblige. Your positive ANA are not relevant for the neck.
Dr. Hoellering, Board Certified MD
Experience: Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.