Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Over the last four weeks my stools have been fluctuating

Customer Question

Hi - over the last four weeks my stools have been fluctuating between normal and looser and more mushy. I have increased fibre which seems to have improved things a bit - my stool now is either normal or type 5 on the scale. Paranoid about bowel cancer and I wondered if bowel cancer typical presentation may fluctuate between normal and looser stools and if it would be persistent? As mentioned no stools are watery.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Hello Change in consistency of stools is considered to be one of the symptoms of bowel cancer.You need to consider the fact that this change is more often between diarrhea and constipation rather than normal and mushy.Change in consistency between normal and mushy would considered to be normal rather than a disease symptom especially if not associated with other symptoms.At times a change in diet or an infection can change the consistency of stool.Cancer often presents with other symptoms as well.These would include weight loss, fatigue or feeling weak, blood in stool, abdominal pain, cramps, feeling of bowel not getting emptied after passing stool.If you do not have any other symptom it is extremely unlikely that you would have bowel cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - I sometimes have a normal bowel movement followed (like 20 mins later) by looser stools. Is this of concern?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for replying. You need to get your stool checked to rule out an infection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - but this wouldn't be a sign of bowel cancer?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
No I do not think so.This does not indicate cancer.