Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Our son who is 20 years old had difficulties relating to people,

our son who is 20 years old had difficulties relating to people, though he is a very kind individual, he started university two years ago, and spend a lot of time on the computer. He is very clever with it, but I think he might be depressed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. Can you tell me more about this and has he seen a psychiatrist as yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no he is struggling by himself, he he is ok when he is with us with his father and I, he gets better feeding, and rest, but when we are apart he seems more stressed out and looses weight

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long has he had the problem? And have you talked about your concern to him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes ofcourse, but since he was leaving in southamerica and he is a third culture child, I thought a period of adjustment was kind or normal, but he had difficulties over here too, I saw him quite lonley here too. He tries but I wonder weather he woudn't be happier around us, three years ago his sister was diagnosed with primary progressive MS, maybe this could be a factor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but what does he say when you voice your concern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that life in the UK it is hard but he likes Brighton, I have my doubts, he has all this facts, that the UK is one of the lonliest country? doesn't want to talk about his emotions. I have lived myself in the UK, I had friends and there I met my husband I have been married 35 years, but then I think he was very sheltered here with us, he lived a very protective life, maybe I should just stop worrying

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

How's he doing at university?

Does he have friends?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he is on the lower end, and because in his course there are only 4 people he dosn't have many friends, he knows people, but not friends as such, I think, he spends a LOT of time alone

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. What did you mean by his being stressed out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he finds things difficult, like meeting people, organising his time, as I said he spends a lot of time in his room,on the comp. has found a job in a radio station, where he helped them build their computers, this is a new radio station, he is hoping to have a slot of time to have a show there, music and computer games, but I am not sure how this is going?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for all the questions--so when you ask him whether he's lonely and maybe depressed how does he respond?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as I said he dosn't want to talk about his emotions, but I see him and know his body language, I think he is finding it very difficult, dosn't want to dissapoint his Dad, who is a PHD from Cambridge

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK--just wanted to get the picture here

How exactly can I help you with this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

from what I just told you , should I keep a close look at him, like I do I stay in touch with him often, or should I just wait for him to ask for help? I don't know if I am been too concerned? did you read the part about our daughter having MS?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I saw the MS comment but how does that figure into this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I have to leave now, here it is morning, and I will take our daughter out a little, thanks for your help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it figures into this, because we are all sad about her getting worse and the difficulties that we have to face daily with her

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here when we get back since I want to continue with this a little more please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, ask me a question and I will reply with the info. thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Does he talk about his sister?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no he doesn't want to talk about her

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. I trust your mother's judgment and he may very well have a depression/anxiety problem. You should stick close to him and just once you need to tell him about your concerns and that you think he needs psychiatric help and that you will be there for him if he ever needs you. That's really all you can do for now