Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had what was thought to be inflammation of the cranial nerve

I had what was thought to be inflammation of the cranial nerve in 2007, but after a deterioration of symptoms was admitted to hospital. They first thought it was stroke but then after an mri scan they were perplexed. I had a single area of inflammation on the central nervous system which looked like something from an HIV patient. Obviously I did not have HIV and they administered a high dose of steroids and the illness began to ease.
Of the symptoms, my whole half side of my face was numb to the point my lips hurt. On the side of the numbness my eye turned to one side and subsequently lost my binocular vision.
The consultant could not diagnose this illness, he mentioned ADEM and MS but did not commit to anything.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you had this episode.
However, it is unclear what question you are asking.
What information are you seeking?
How can we be of assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

perhaps some clarity on what the illness was? I am an airline pilot you see and I am hoping it is not MS

Do you have the full report of the MRI?
Since you do not mention any other tests, is it correct to interpret that to indicate no other tests were done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not, although they did carry out half a dozen mri scans which showed improvement throughout.

Lumbar puncture was inconclusive

They also tested the bloods which I am struggling to remember what exactly was identified but do remember a figure of 160

I am sorry this doesnt help much.

The date of onset was 2007 and have had no further symptoms

With this level of information, it will be difficult to say with clarity what was the cause, but it can be said that it would be extremely unlikely that it was MS.

There are several reasons why this is not typical for MS. Certainly, MS can have areas of inflammation on an MRI, although there is usually multiple locations of inflammation. However, there also would typically be characteristic changes on the lumbar puncture, which you say was inconclusive, but apparently was not positive. In addition, it is very unusual for someone to go 8 years after a first episode of symptoms related to MS and never have further symptoms. The pattern of symptoms can be quite variable, but it is unusual to go this period of time without either a recurrence of the original symptoms or development of different symptoms.

As for what it was, a single episode of inflammation of the nervous symptom affecting several cranial nerves that responded to steroids and then having no further symptoms is suspicious for changes that can occur following a viral infection.

Regardless of what may have been the cause of the original episode, the fact that you have gone 8 years without a recurrence is an excellent sign that this was a disease process that will only bother you this one time, and it is unlikely that there will be any further symptoms related to this episode.

If you can get the actual report of the MRI, I may be able to provide a more detailed comment, but I do not think that you need to be concerned about MS or any other condition that may be recurrent in nature.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.