Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My mother in law aged 83 takes 1/4 of a 5mg warfarin sodico

My mother in law aged 83 takes 1/4 of a 5mg warfarin sodico tablet each day at 17.00 hours. Yesterday in error she took a whole 5 mg tablet. What should she do today at 17.00 ? Should she take a 1/4 tablet as normal or should we take some other action ? She seems well. Do I need to take her to see a doctor today ?
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you. Please tell your mother in law not to take any warfarin today and until Saturday. Saturday the usual 1/4. She does not have to take any action but please be careful walking. If she hits herself or falls, she might bleed more than usual. The blood level of warfarin will rise, but fall again slowly when she will pause for three days. Then the anticoagulation will be in the normal range again. Don't hesitate to ask if anything is not clear yet. All the best for you mother in law!

You have read my advice, but didn't give a positive feedback yet. Are there any questions left? Please feel free to ask!