DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter has just had a spinal MRI and been given a disk

My daughter has just had a spinal MRI and been given a disk of the results. A report will be sent to her GP within 48 hours. The arial lumbar scan show a large egg shaped white shape on her right hand side. Is this normal? I can't see it when I google other scan pictures.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
A large shape where exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks to me to be in the pelvic area but I'm really not sure. I think I have attached the URL. Could you let me know if you receive it.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Looks like some normal calcification in the kidney to me.
What are her symptoms?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Actually

Looking again , this is above the kidney Looks inconsequential, almost artifact. Would need more cuts.

Calcification of small blood vessels is also possible.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
Hang on
I was not looking at that structure before
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
do you have cuts that go higher?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have attached all lumbar pics. She had the whole spine scanned so have more if you want to go higher still.

She has a prolapsed disc at the base of her spine and previously had a fractured L2. Has had spinal pain from neck to base of spine since then (5 years) and now has pain in right groin/hip area.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
The whole scan is going to need to be reviewed.
With what you have, we are going to make an educated guess at a calcified liver cyst.
Not serious, but large in this case.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.