DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm female, 35 years old, a non-smoker, non-drinker

I’m female, 35 years old, a non-smoker, non-drinker and I’m not on the pill. I take citalopram.
Approximately 5 months ago, I started getting what seem to be bad migraines with aura:
*Bad lights in my eyes
*severe one-sided pain in my head (usually on my left side but sometimes my right)
*The pain goes down my neck, over my eyes, over the back of my head (where it decides to land isn’t consistent
*I also get shooting, stabbing pain down my left arm, which also goes numb and tingling
*There is a point on my left temple which hurts when it is pressed
*I vomit most days
*I get slurred speech, loss of concentration, loss of short-term memory, moodswings.
The pain is literally everyday and sometimes the pain is very severe where I can’t do anything other than lie in bed. Some days the pain is tolerable, some days it is unbearable.
My family doctor has given me anti-emetics, topiramate and propranadol and I’m currently waiting for them to take effect. This is my second week of taking the medication and I haven’t felt any improvements – If anything, it’s getting worse.
I’ve also been referred to a Neurologist and I’m currently waiting on the NHS to be seen.
Could anyone shed any light on what’s wrong with me?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
All of these symptoms are consistent with severe migraine.
So that is probably not new to you.
However, what can be missed as an aggravating factor is
a. Disc disease in the neck, the cervical spine. This is often overlooked, and requires an MRI of the spine.
b. Rarely is anything missed in the brain, but if there is any indication on neurological exam for an MRI of the brain, this should be done. This rules out tumor.
c. Relative magnesium deficiency. If your magnesium on a blood test is under 2.5, you should be supplemented. 50% of migraine patients will respond to magnesium. 90% of those who also have mitral valve prolaps.
If one preventative medication does not work, another should be used. In some people calcium channel blockers work better than beta blockers like propanalol.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the neurologist automatically consider what you've just told me or will I have to raise these things with them?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
He/she should automatically consider these things.
As to integrative medicine, good Chinese acupuncture and medical acupuncture bothy will stop a persistent migraine and help reduce them over time.
A nutrient dense, anti inflammatory food, based on whole natural food, should be employed.
The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt
The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
And herb called fever few used regularly, has helped some patients stop migraine completely.