Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 1 year old granddaughter developed a small spot on the side

Customer Question

My 1 year old granddaughter developed a small spot on the side of her face 1 week ago.it was quite raised and the following day it had blistered and burst with yellow pus. She was taken to see the doctor who said it was an infected spot and prescribed anti-biotic cream three days ago. This spot has now scabbed over and more than tripled in size to around 1.5cm with a circle red circle totalling about 3 cm. She is well in her self with no fever. there is also a similar spot on her chin, much smaller but indented. I thought it may be impetigo or herpes but on searching the net I have found nothing that looks the same as it is a single spot. please can you help shed some light so we can get it treated asap
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If there was yellow pus inside the first spot that wouldn't be a virus like herpes but it would likely be a staph infection. The second spot may be herpes but most likely it, too, is a bacterial infection like staph.

Since the first spot's redness is spreading, this has gone beyond the scope of a topical antibiotic cream and she needs to see the doctor again for an oral antibiotic like Augmenin or Septra

Let me know if you need more information please