Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

MY lYMPS ABSOLUTE ARE 4.1 AND NEUTROPHILS ABSOLUTE IS 7.5 AND

Customer Question

mY lYMPS ABSOLUTE ARE 4.1 AND NEUTROPHILS ABSOLUTE IS 7.5 AND MONOCYTES ABSOLUTES ARE 1.2 SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

If this is a lab report from a single point in time, then this is usually a sign of an infection, and the most common infection would be a viral infection. This is usually not concerning, by itself.

However, any accompanying symptoms would be more of an indication of whether there may be an infection that would be concerning. For example, if you are having any shortness of breath or significant cough that is producing purulent sputum, that would be concerning about a pneumonia and should prompt an urgent assessment.

In most situations, the doctor that has ordered the blood work is already aware of any symptoms and has performed a pertinent examination, so the doctor will be able to interpret the white count with this information.

If no symptoms are present and there are no findings on exam, this is typically from a viral infection, and there usually would be no interventions indicated other than rechecking the blood count to ensure that these values return to normal.

If I can provide any further information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Our insurance company at work came in and took blood,it was not ordered by a doctor persay. My RBC are 5.67 while my WBC are 13.1 it lists both as high. That along with the absolutes, should I contact my family doctor?

It would be appropriate to see your family doctor, but if you are having no symtoms, it would be appropriate to wait 2-4 weeks to allow time for any viral infection to resolve and you can your family doctor and have the blood count rechecked at that time.