Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

Morning, I'm scheduled to have a marina coil fitted and after

Customer Question

Morning, I'm scheduled to have a marina coil fitted and after additional research there are some side affects, fatigue, increased periods for 6 months, acne, weight gain. I have a very stressful job and have a history of cortisol deficiency, and suffer with acne round my period, is this the right decision to get this inserted? I do suffer from heavy periods and occasionally I have had to go home as I've been in severe pain, I travel a lot to India and having my period there is not pleasant.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The Mirena coil contains progesterone - and progesterone is associated with side effects like acne, fatigue and weight gain. But the mirena coil contains a very minimal amount of progesterone. It works locally inside the uterus and very little is absorbed into the blood stream. So the effects of progesterone is practically absent.Spotting though can occur on and off for about 1-2 months while the body adjusts the coil. The spotting generally tends to disappear after this time.The Mirena coil will have no effect on the cortisol levels. In your case, i believe that the Mirena coil will be quite effective in decreasing the heavy bleeding and it would be a good idea to get it inserted.
Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.