Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner was treated in Feb 2015 .She complained

my partner was treated for depression in Feb 2015 .She complained of shortness of breath and lack of energy.The doctor gave her Metoclpramide 10mg .This did not work and she thought that she had agorophobia (she had it 30yrs previously) by now she could barely walk more than few paces and was losing weight.As she couldn't leave the house the doctor came and saw her 11/05/15 because she thought she had cancer (she was very frightened of this) the doctor gave her Mirtazapine .These tablets 30mg sent so low and depressed she could barely talk. 5 days later she died of primary left Bronchogenic carcinoma caused by asbestos/smoking. The question is did the Mirtazine shorten her life by any amount.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry about the loss of your partner.most likely the mirtazapine antidepressant would not have shorten her lifeshe could have had spread of her bronchogenic lung cancer to her brain which could have caused her depression and slowingthe mirtazapine would not have shortened her lifeI am a cancer doctormy condolences again for your losslet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I'm glad it did'nt shorten her life but after 3 yrs of shortness of breath and pain in her shoulder blade some one would have tested or xrayed instead of assuming she had stress/depression even if she did not have it it would have put her mind at rest and if caught early made her live longer. she was right they were wrong.

thanking you

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
yes, I agreewith her smoking and asbestos history, she should have had an xray or chest CT Scan to look into her lungs.it sounds like her doctors totally missed her lung cancer diagnosis.I am sorry for your loss again.let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Her current doctors despite losing 11/2 stone in month said that they had not even suspected cancer but she kept telling them she thought she had and I assumed they must be right and never got the chance to say goodbye etc.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for your loss again.are you willing to talk to a counselor or therapist or bereavement counselor?that might help you with your grief and loss.