Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had viral meningitus symptoms months, inc permanent

Customer Question

I have had viral meningitus symptoms for five months, inc permanent headache, stiff neck swollen glands, slight nausea, yet blood tests remain -ve. I have tried anti-histamine medicine and amoxyllin without effect. As i have heard this could lead to serious collapse after six months or so, is ther anything i can do meantime?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Have you had an MRI of your brain, a screen for mononucleosis, and other blood work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the surgery seems reluctant to act

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So I assume you haven't seen a neurologist either Richard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

OK Richard. For this to have lasted as long as it has, while it still could be viral meningitis, there are other considerations.

You need an EBV viral titer drawn since you may have mononucleosis. But you also need the MRI of your brain to check for meningitis. Unfortunately, there is no specific treatment for either of those and they have to run their course

Unfortunately also, I am not your doctor so all I can do here is give you my thoughts that you can take to your doctor for discussion

Let me know if you need to discuss this further please