Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My name is***** am 40 yrs old. As a job I am a ski & Snowboard

My name is***** am 40 yrs old. As a job I am a ski & Snowboard Instructor. My problem is that I have been having pain with clicking in my right knee walking up the stairs and down, including occasional catching feeling. I have had it for over 10 years now. I have tried ibroprofen, hot and cold treatments, cod liver oil and rub in gel. I had an x ray but that came back satisfactory. I don't know what to do now. Any advice?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi Angela.

It sounds as though you have a problem with a torn meniscus in that knee and that a small piece of it is occasionally getting into the joint and causing the clicking and catching

You need an MRI of the knee to evaluate that and although I would first have you undergo physical therapy, given your occupation I think you'll require arthroscopic surgery to repair this since otherwise it will only get worse in time

Let me know if you need any more information please