Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Doctor, I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair four

Hello Doctor,
I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair four years ago and although my right side has been fairly good my left side has been terrible. Immediately after the operation I had severe pain in my left groin and down the inside of my leg, and the surgeon told me that the femoral nerve was probably trapped but it would release it's self eventually.
Although the pain reduced it has never fully gone away and gradually over the last two to three years it has got a loss worse. Pain relief does not work as I think I've tried every tablet in the book. I do get periods with very little or no pain which can sometimes last for a few days or more (heaven) but they are few and far between and then the nerve seems to get trapped again. I sometimes wake up in the morning with no pain, but a few days or weeks later I will wake in the morning and the pain is back again.
I'm seeing a pain specialist in two weeks time so what questions do I need to ask him so I can get this problem sorted out. Two of the question I do want to ask are "If it is nerve entrapment what type of surgeon do I need to see, and can the nerve be released?"
The quality of my life is beginning to become very poor, especially when I sit down. I often get relief just by standing up. Otherwise I'm a fairly fit man who regularally walks about 10 to 15 miles per week although slightly over weight I'm 16st and 5' 11".
Can you please let me know what you think about my problem and what questions I should ask the pain specialist when I see him on the 14th of August?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am glad you are going to see a pain specialist.it does sound like the femoral nerve is still strapped and continues to cause you pain.you might benefit from nerve pain medications like neurontin or lyrica.you might benefit from a 5% lidocaine patch over the area of surgery to help decrease pain.more surgery in that area can be risky and cause more scar tissue and more nerve pressure.seeing a neurologist or nerve specialist could help.an MRI scan of the pelvis and groin area could help look at the nervelet me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did ask what type of surgeon I needed to see if nerve entrapment was the problem but you haven't answered that question??

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you can see another general surgeon or a neurosurgeon to talk about surgery to help free up the entraped femoral nerve.