Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just moved to a hot country (to Spain from the

I have just moved to a hot country (to Spain from the UK). I am drinking the same amount of water / fluids or even more sometimes in spain than in the UK but I'm needing to urinate less.
I'm finding this confusing and the only thing I can think is additional liss of water in sweat is responsible -would this be correct?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, you are mostly correct. There is a significant increase in fluid loss through sweat in a hot environment. There also is an increased amount of fluid loss from other sources, as well, such as through respiration, but the bulk of the extra fluid loss is through sweat.

Since the body loses more fluid through sweat, the kidneys will tend to hold onto more fluid and there will be less urine volume.