Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have cut done on food trying to loose weight and now my bowels

Customer Question

I have cut done on food trying to loose weight and now my bowels are blocked and I can't go. I have tried drinking water etc. I have inserted Vaseline into my bowel entrance but nothing is moving . What can I do
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several options in this situation.

If there is a sense of fullness of stool that will not pass, it would be appropriate to use a cleansing enema, such as Fleets enema, also called a phosphates enema. It also may help to use a stimulant laxative, such as Dulcolax, also called bisacodyl..

However, for long-term use, it is usually better to use different interventions. It will usually help to use a fiber laxative, such as Metamucil, which can be used to replace the fiber that is no longer being eaten in the diet. It also may help to use a stool softener, such as Colace, also called docusate.

Since the fiber and stool softeners frequently may take several days to make a significant improvement, these interventions are usually not as effective for quickly easing symptoms, but are generally much better tolerated for long-term use.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.