Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I take atenolol, ramipril, amlodipine spironolactone and doxazosin.

Customer Question

I take atenolol, ramipril, amlodipine spironolactone and doxazosin. I had a stroke (burst blood vessel) 10 years ago. what pain killer can I take for knee pain? Can I take ibuprofen just for a few days, if not, what what can I take. paracetamol is useless.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service. Given your history of heart disease, stroke and current medications, Ibuprofen is risky to take even for few days.It can induce heart problem, increase blood pressure, and cause kidney failure.Being said that, occasional use 200 to 400 mg in a day upto 3 days at a time should be ok.The better solution will be to consider steroid injection inside the knee joint for arthritis related pain.Also prescription pain medications like hydrocodone or oxycodone may be safe to use in your condition.Please discuss with your doctor about these options. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you and I note the better long term solution. at the moment I don't know what is causing the knee pain except that it developed two weeks ago after driving on a long car journey. it is a small area on the left side of the patella on my right leg. often ok when I first get up but pain soon comes back. i have continued driving short distances.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Ok--That suggests the meniscal injury or patellar tendon inflammation.You should use knee brace or bandage during walking, apply lot of ice, and avoid too much walking or weight bearing for next 2 weeks. Best wishes,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I note the long term solution. I don't know what has caused the knee problem but it developed about two weeks ago after driving on a long car journey. I am still driving short journeys. the pain is in a small area to the left of my kneecap on right leg. sometimes little or no pain when I get up but quickly gets worse.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
I will post my reply here again --my not have gone through before.Ok--That suggests the meniscal injury or patellar tendon inflammation.You should use knee brace or bandage during walking, apply lot of ice, and avoid too much walking or weight bearing for next 2 weeks. Best wishes