Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am being a little impatient.. But was wondering

I am being a little impatient.. But was wondering what are the chances of me being pregnant. My period started on the 18 July. My partner and I had sex on the 24th, 25th 26th July as well as the 30th and the 31 July. Which according to an online calculator, I should have been ovulating. The sex etc was not deliberate and we were not trying to conceive. But on the morning of the 31 July and all day yesterday I have had intense cramps/pain in the lower abdomen uterus area. The pain was intense, like the beginning of a period but ofcourse my period isn't due for another 14/15 days. This cramping was also accompanied by an intense headache, which I still have. I get this sort off headache a few days before my period. I don't have any thing else to go on but am just trying to work out if this is nothing or it's something. I used to be on the pill but I stopped using it in March. I did visit the gynae about 2 months ago and she recommended a course of utrogestan which I only took for a month from the 15th day of my cycle. I had a normal period that month and there was no side effects, I just didn't get to the pharmacy in time this month to collect my supply as I was travelling for work. I am healthy, cycle is regular, I took the pill for 2 years before stopping in March. I am on a multivitamin which has high dosage of folic acid. What does this sound like to you? Paranoid or potentially pregnant?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,I do understand your eagerness.These symptoms occurred so soon after your ovulation that it cannot be related to the implantation.It takes at least a week from ovulation for the implantation to occur.And, that will then lead to a 'missed period' if you did strike it right this time.So you have a good chance of pregnancy given so close to your ovulation, but not a definite signal.These symptoms can be caused by the stress, and hormonal fluctuations normally seen during reproductive period.Keep your fingers crossed.If you miss your period, then you can take a urine pregnancy test.If you get your period as usual, then you are not likely pregnant. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your frankness. I will certainly let you know how I get on.. Just out of curiosity is there any thing I should look out for over the next few days? Before the missed period. Also on the hormonal fluctuation, should I visit my gynae? It was very painful for 2 days solid.. It's slightly twitchy right now.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
If you notice any heavy persistent bleeding along with pain then you should see your doctor to rule out any ectopic pregnancy.Otherwise, this should subside on its own.You can try acetaminophen and warm compress for the pain relief. Best wishes,