DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I believe I broke a knuckle (one closest to hand) in my hand

I believe I broke a knuckle (one closest to hand) in my hand (pinky knuckle) around 9 years ago (knuckle now sunken in and finger misaligned)
Since the injury my finger naturally sits at an angle from the knuckle and gets very sore in the cold. I have less grip now with that finger but it mostly bothers me when surfing which is my favourite passtime and is really bothering me because the slightest bit of cold and my hand will crammp up I cant use my finger and keep my fingers together on that hand making paddling difficult when surfing.
I would like to have surgery done to correct this. Is this possible after malunion of the bone after 10years? Would they do this on nhs scotland? What would this involve and healing time? Would an osteotamy be performed?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You don't even know what this is.
It might be ligament damage and not involve bone at all.
Bone or ligament can be repaired with grafting in many cases, even after this long.
Recovery in full would take 3 to 6 months.
It might well be covered by NHS, but you have to get an exam and imaging to see what is going on.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fairly confident I broke the knuckle. Assuming I did can you please give me a detailed description of what it would entail to correct this and confirm that correcting a misaligned broken knuckle is possible even after 9 years.
How long would it take after this type of surgery before i could use the finger again?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
A surgeon has already agreed with my answer above.
Most likely, simply cleaning up, and/or repairing the ligament.
The knuckle is largely ligament.
In some instances, a prosthetic joint spacer is inserted, if the joint is too deteriorated. This is often silicon.
How much after 9 years depends on what they find, first on MRI , second on surgery.
Full use of the finger, for the most part, in 3 months.
Physical therapy involved.
OK, so that is an initial answer….