Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

My granddaughter had chicken pox 2 weeks ago and now her father

My granddaughter had chicken pox 2 weeks ago and now her father has it. Was he infectious during the intervening period before his spots appeared? i.e. could he have passed it on to other members of the family he was in contact with?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
HelloWelcome to justanswer. I am Dr.Amita and I would be helping you today.A person can transmit chicken pox in two ways.One is through the rash and blisters which carry and spread the virus.Other way is through the tiny droplets released in air when an infected person sneezes or coughs.A person is most infective starting about two days before onset of rash and remains infective until the blisters have dried and scabbed over completely.This means that he was infective before the spots appeared and the people coming in contact were at risk of contracting infection.