Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have had blood test thyroid,the test came

I have had blood test for interactive thyroid,the test came back normal I'm confused as I have all the symptoms my neck gets so tight and swollen I feel I am being shocked its hard to swollow and I have put weight on which I can't shift,I also have constant cough and hoarse voice. Please help. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Can you please elaborate your symptoms a little more for me.
Also, can you please mention your TSH level if possible.
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications currently for anything?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know about test ,I am not on medication,but the symptoms I explained have been going on for sometime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is under active thyroid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Dr I have not had a reply to my question Thank you
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Actually there can be many reasons for the symptoms that you are experiencing and hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid is only one condition that needs to be considered and ruled out.
Another thing that I would like to mention is that according to recent guidelines the normal range of TSH is between 0.3 to 3.
So your TSH levels may not be in the normal range according to recent guidelines. Even now, most labs may give a normal range of up to 4 to 5.
So, with your symptoms, if you have a TSH of more than 3, even though it is in the normal range, it may require treatment with a low dose thyroid medication to see if it helps.
Constant cough and tight throat may be due to allergies or asthma or COPD.
I would recommend that you should be seen by a pulmonologist if possible or request your GP to possibly do a pulmonary function test or a spirometry to rule out conditions such as asthma or COPD that can cause persist cough.
Persistent cough also, can at times, be due to acid reflux from the stomach.
Quite often there are no symptoms of acid reflux like burning in the throat or pain in the chest or abdomen and the patient just presents with cough.
So taking an antiacid medication like over-the-counter omeprazole taken at a dose of 20 mg twice daily may help with your symptoms.
I would recommend taking this for at least four to eight weeks.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you doctor for your help,I was on imperative a few month ago which was of no help. I will see my Dr again and suggest the other tests. Thank you once again for your help. M Stevenson