Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a history of depression and anxiety. I had CbT for

Hi, I have a history of depression and anxiety. I had CbT for depression couple of years back and it was very successful. However, after a prolonged period of extreme stress I had an 'episode' a couple of months ago and have not been the same since. Constant nausea and severe anxiety with regular anxiety attacks forcing me to sedate myself with diazepam and take to bed. It's becoming a struggle to function day to day and I'm self employed with three kids which means rest and time off are not an option. My GP put me on 15mg mirtazapine increasing to 30mg but I felt they made me feel worse, especially the nausea and the panics. I'm going to ask GP to refer me to psychiatrist privately then I will go back to cbt privately as waiting lists are 12 months. My main question surrounds diazepam. When I'm simply at my wits end it's the only thing that alleviates the symptoms. I only take it as a last resort, not regularly and only half a 5mg tab. I know it is extremely addictive and a short term thing only. Is there any drug or combination of drugs that will give me the same relief but not be as dangerous long term? I really really feel awful and any help would be welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I would try you on either Buspar or Wellbutrin along with propranolol as a nonaddictive combination that should work the same as the diazepam

Let me know if you need any more information please