DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I would want your expert opinion on whether it is

Customer Question

I would want your expert opinion on whether it is safe to work in the medical field, for instance working as a Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist or any other job that requires that I interact with patients.
At the moment, I am being treated for Myositis- an auto immune illness. I'm currently taking Prednisolone and Azathioprine and other medications. However I have been told that the Azathiopirine and Prednisolone are immuno suppressants and would make me more vulnerable to catching opportunistic illnesses.
My blood results are okay at the moment, with the White Bloods cells levels within normal range.
So I would want your opinion on whether it is safe to work, say in a hospital environment or any job that has to deal with patients.
I look forward to your response.
Daniel
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is not as safe as one with completely health immunity, but, it is within an acceptable range if you are manged effectively and monitored by your doctors, and if all normal safety precautions in your job are followed effectively.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that response. Do you know whether there is a blanket ban on all those on immuno suppressants to not work with patients or in the NHS?
And also, as you know, the Cretinine Kinase blood test is used to monitor the state of the Myositis. Mine has been around 300 to 400, slightly above the normal range. However I have noticed that when I work night shifts prior to blood tests being done, the CK levels go up to around 800. And when I don't do night shifts prior to the tests, it appears to be just slightly above the normal levels.
Could one day that lack of proper sleep could be a factor, would you advise doing night shifts in my current condition?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no ban that I know of.
There is no known reason that you go up when working night shifts.
In theory, this might be to the circadian stress of working over night.
I would change this if possible.
Lack of sleep can be a factor in any such situation.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the promt replies doctor. If I may ask, is it advisable to have have children whilst on Azathioprone?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Aza does not reduce semen quality.
It is not a prevention for having children.
This should also be discussed with your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. One final question. How common is Myositis; in your experience, what's the prognosis of those with inflammatory Myositis? What would be your general advise for someone with inflammatory Myositis?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It is not common
And it depends on what type of myositis you have.
Without knowing that, prognosis can not really be stated.
In fact, it is very individualized regardless.
Yes, I have entire integrative medical approaches to myositis, but not on this thread.
See my add services offer.