Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Which is the best Biological drug psoraisis? One

Customer Question

Which is the best Biological drug for treating psoraisis? One with least side effects?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--are you talking about immune modulating medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are many Biological medications to treat psoraisis right??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes but are you talking about injectables like Humira?
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Humira and Enbrel are both very effective and if you're concerned about possible side effect's my choice would be Humira

Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What makes Humira have less side effects? and what are the side effects of Humira?

Could you please give me more information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am concerned that these drugs cause cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well just statistically Humira has less side effects but until a patient is actually place on a medication it isn't possible to say whether they will get any of the possible side effects

For Humira, those are fever, bruising, nausea, headache, and sinus congestion.

Cancer is a very rare possibility with Humira
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How often should he take the Humira and how long does it take to cure it?

Can he stop the injections if he gets better?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's taken every other week for about a year and it usually works well in that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the cost of each injection?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The cost is about $1500 per injection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and it has to be taken 4 times a month and for a year?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, twice a month--every other week and yes, for a year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and after a year what happens?The symptoms disappear? and for how long?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Usually it takes away the psoriasis completely and he may never need another treatment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am so happy to hear this:)

The thing is that he is studying in Edinburgh but is at home in Vacation. Do you recommend that we start the treatement while he is home to monitor him before he travels back to Edinburgh? and should I be worried when he is alone there and taking the injections without us the family being near to him?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I see no reason to worry and he can start the treatments while home but he needs to be under the guidance of either a rheumatologist or a dermatologist both at home and in Edinburgh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could you advise us on who to contact in Edinburgh please? Can this medicine be ordered online in case it is not available in my country?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It can be ordered online with a doctor's prescription

Here's a link for Edinburgh

http://www.edinburghrheumatologypractice.co.uk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you !

You have helped me quite a lot.

One last question , what blood tests are needed before we start?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
CBC, complete metabolic panel, thyroid function panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, what is complete metabolic panel? and thyroid panel?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Standard test that includes sodium, potassium, creatinine, BUN, protein

Thyroid function panel--T4, T3, TSH levels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And Tb test? and hepitaitis tests?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--yes the TB test

And no need for the hepatitis test unless the liver enzymes on his CMP are elevated.

But the rheumatologist would check all that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Chip.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Chip

A doctor told me that Humira might need to be taken for more than a yer and that if it is stopped the symptoms might come back. Is that correct? and in your opinion what is the likely hood that my son will need to take these injections indefinitely?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's a possibility Hayfa but in general it's stopped after a year and then one sees if the psoriasis returns.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and what if symptoms disappear in 6 months? should one still continue to take them?

These injections do not cure the illness right? but they make the symptoms go only?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Usually the course is one year even if the symptoms disappear sooner.

No, they don't actually cure it but often the one year's course is all that's needed and the problem doesn't return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again:)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure